Thursday, December 20, 2012

Top 5 tips to stay in shape during the holidays (part I)

Hi guys,

First off, I have to apologize for being offline for so long. I've been extremely busy, to say the least. My 4-day work week has expanded like crazy. Some days it feels like I haven't gotten any shuteye at all, because I've been going through work issues in my sleep. Sounds great, doesn't it? ;)

My k-razy workout routines have been on a break, too. It felt really weird not to work out for two whole weeks, but I totally needed the break. My stress levels were through the roof 24/7 for three weeks - all I did was brisk walks with my puppy pug and yoga. *sigh* Thank goodness it's over.



I've been seeing quite a few nutritional coaching clients in the last week. The main topic of our discussions seems to be Christmas: how can I get through the holidays without gaining weight?

Ok, I understand the question. Christmas is all about staying indoors and eating for most people.

Tip #1: Think of it this way: Christmas lasts three days, consider it a long weekend. It is physically impossible to gain more than a pound or so during that time (depending on your normal eating habits, of course).
If you have a regular eating routine, you most likely won't screw everything up in a few days.

Tip #2: Maintain your normal eating rhytm during the holidays. Eat a protein-packed breakfast, a decent salad for lunch and healthy snacks to make sure you're not starving before the big christmas dinner.

 Tip #3: Fill your plate with veggies and lean meats, take it easy with carb-filled foods. As always, stop eating when you're satisfied - it's OK to leave food on the plate. Have fruits and berries for dessert and skip the truckloads of chocolates.

Tip #4: Don't eat between meals. I know, holiday treats are delicious, but try to steer clear from the kitchen between meals. Eat because you're hungry, not because you're bored.

Tip #5: Enjoy your meals. Don't feel guilty for enjoying holiday meals with your friends and family. As I said earlier, Christmas is just a few days - make it a happy holiday!


Merry Xmas, guys.

Coming up: How to stay in shape during the holidays (part II) - the workouts.

Picture source

No comments:

Post a Comment