Friday, July 27, 2012

InBody - following up my progress

Happy Friday, fit people!

I've been working out like crazy these past two weeks (and loving every single moment!), keeping a close eye on my diet and making sure that I rest enough.

My efforts have paid off. I did a body composition analysis on myself this morning, and I almost cried out from joy. I know my body has changed during these few weeks (11 days, to be exact), but I had no idea... The results were even better than I imagined.

I'm using an InBody 230 for my body composition analysis. The outputs are: weight, somatic muscle mass, fat mass, total body water, lean body mass, BMI (Body mass index), percent body fat, waist-hip ratio, basal metabolic rate, segmental muscle mass (i.e. muscle balance), segmental body fat mass and impendance of each segments. It also gives a "muscle control" and a "fat mass control", i.e. possible goals for weight loss or gain, either in muscle or fat mass, plus an exercise planner with energy expenditures in different activities.

How does it work?
Muscles, blood vessels and bones are high in water, which conducts electricity. Body fat mass is the type of tissue that conducts electricity poorly. The InBody measures body composition by sending a weak bioelectric current through the body (trough soles and palms) and calculates the amount of fat tissue in the body.
It's recommended to do the analysis in the morning (with an empty stomach) or at least two hours after the last meal. For reliable results, one should not exercise or go to the sauna right before doing the InBody.

You feed your personal information in the machine (age, gender, height) before the analysis and the InBody 230 gives a A4-sized printout that looks like this:

The InBody result sheet. Picture source: InBodyCentral

I, personally, look mostly at the muscle mass / body fat mass - ratio and the segmental lean and fat mass. All my personal training clients get the opportunity to do a body composition analysis, but not everyone wants to see their results, and that's perfectly OK with me. Especially older women don't like the idea of stepping on a scale in front of someone, and I have to respect that. For the record, I propably wouldn't do it myself.


The picture above is an analysis of my muscle balance, showing segmental muscle mass. According to the InBody, I have a lot more muscle mass in my left leg compared to my right leg. There's a significant difference between the strength too, since I've had some serious lower back problems (on the right side).
I won't show you the segmental fats yet.. Maybe in a year or two. Or never.


So, to my results... In two weeks, I have:
  • Gained 1,2 kg in somatic muscle mass
  • Lost 2,6 kg in fat of which:
  • lost 1,2 kg fat around my waist
  • lost 0,8 kg fat aroung my glutes and thighs

Now this is why I don't use a basic scale at home. My total weight loss in two weeks is just 0,7 kg, which is OK, but not awesome. My total body water amount is really high at the moment (+ 2kg compared to the results two weeks ago), and I bet it's just because I spent a really tough afternoon at the gym yesterday.

According to my InBody results printout, I'm overweight (no surprise there!). However, my muscle mass is a whopping 6 kg above average levels (compared to average 24y women). Screw you, body mass index ;)

As I've said before, I'm still really far from my goals, but I'll get there.. The InBody helps me set new (realistic) goals for the next few weeks. I keep track of my goals and progress with a motivational diary, which also holds all my InBody results sheets. I use the diary to document my feelings during my workouts, to collect inspirational and motivational pictures and quotes and sometimes as a nutritional diary.
I'll write an article on how to set realistic goals (and how to reach them!) in a few weeks, so stay tuned.


Have a great weekend!

Stay focused,
/Ulrika

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Ulrika, and really inspiring! Looking forward to your tips on setting goals and staying on track.

    ReplyDelete