Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Delicious coconut chocolate treats.

Healthy treats: chocolate coconut balls and fresh strawberries.
Most of my friends (and a few co-workers) comment on my diet a lot. Some of them think that eating clean means no treats at all, but they're wrong!

These balls are healthy and packed with antioxidants. They're not addictive, so you don't have to be afraid to eat the whole lot in just one sitting. They contain zero sugar and they're rich in unsaturated fats and proteins that fill you up pleasantly. So no desperate cravings afterwards.

They're really fast to make, it took like five minutes for me to throw the ingredients together. Easy enough for you? ;)

My healthy chocolate coconut balls
150 g organic peanut butter (my favourite is Urtekram)
250 g crushed organic nuts. I used mostly almonds.
1- 1½ dl organic raw cacao powder
1 dl organic rice protein powder
½- 1 dl organic cacao nibs
½ dl organic chia seeds
2- 2½ dl shredded organic coconut
150 g organic coconut butter (oil)
2-3 teaspoons organic raw lucuma
1-2 tbsp organic raw maca powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Some additional shredded coconut to top these beautiful tiny balls


Blend the above in a bowl, using a metal spoon to push the coconut oil and peanut butter through the dry ingredients. Don't be precise - throw in what feels right (that's why my recipe isn't that precise either). The dough will turn "wet" because the coconut butter will turn into oil, so just chuck in some more dry stuff (e.g. chia seeds) to adjust the consistency.
Grab little handfuls and form into balls. Dip the balls in some shredded coconut to get the lovely "topping". Put the balls on wax paper or a large plate. Stick in the fridge for an hour (or if you're impatient, in the freezer for 20 minutes). I was patient enough to wait for 12 hours for these babies to set - and they're gorgeous! I enjoy my coconutty delights with fresh fruits or berries.

You can tweak the recipe to your own taste - add some licorice root or maybe a little peppermint oil.. You choose :)

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

Kisses,
/U

4 comments:

  1. I would certainly love to have those now but unfortunately I have almost nothing from the ingredients' list at home and buying everything is probably too expensive :P I bet they don't sell everything in my hometown anyway..

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true.. Youu could get this stuff online, though. Not sure how much they cost in Estonia, but they're not really that expensive in Finland.

      I already have all this stuff in my kitchen, since I use a lot of "superfoods" every day. :)

      Thanks for your comment, dear.

      Delete
  2. I love cocoa nibs, I can probably make something similar, as I cannot have strawberries, however the coconut balls look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try them with a little blueberries or a piece of fruit, no need to eat strawberries if you can't :)

      Thanks for your comment, dear.

      Delete